Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Lamps of the ‘80s

Take a step back in time and remember when...

 Photo courtesy of wardrobeadvice.com

Being a product of the ‘80s, I can recall many of the bizarre styles, big hair and flamboyant fashions produced from that decade. Don’t ask me why, but another thing that stuck in my head was the interesting light fixtures that illuminated that funky era as well. From seashell shaped bases to touch lamps, I remember these lamps like it were yesterday. So throw on your jean jacket and bring on the Aqua-Net hairspray; for it’s time to take a trip down memory lane with these vintage lighting finds!  
Touch lamps
When my parents first brought a touch lamp home, I thought technology was at its prime. I marveled at the lamp’s brass base and shiny, smoked-glass shade and was floored that the human touch could have so much power! We placed the lamp in the TV room, so we could see our cassette-operated answering machine better. It also worked well to view the buttons on the remote better in order to get to the one and only channel of HBO faster!
This lamp is pretty close to the one I remember!
Halo-shaped light bulb
On the ceiling in the kitchen, we had a halo-shaped light bulb. It was attached to a shiny round, silver fixture and I always thought it was quite interesting. I’m not so sure if it was the in-thing back then, but it lit up our hideous green refrigerator and stove quite well!
Seashell-shaped lamp base
As a little girl, I was an avid shell collector. At the beach, I’d walk around the shoreline for hours and pick up the old residences of random mollusks and crustaceans. When I first caught sight of scallop-fashioned glass lamps in the store window, I begged my parents for one! Eventually, I ended up getting a small tan, seashell lamp with a white shade to match my room.
Photo courtesy of sealifegifts.net
Curved floor lamps
I had a trendy uncle that had an eye for home décor. Whenever my parents and I would stop over for a visit, he always seemed to have something new and stylish that garnished his pad. One day, I remember seeing a really unique brass, curved, floor lamp that extended over his couch. It had one base and four lights that branched out from the top. Each light was topped off with a frosted bell-shaped glass shade. I pointed it out to my parents on numerous occasions and hoped they would get one too!
Do you recall any lamps or fun lights from previous eras?
Although the lamps of the ’80 may have been ‘like totally rad’ at the time, I’m just glad that my taste in décor has changed since!
Until next time, embrace your memories!
~Charlene Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment